Principal Engineer, System Planning, Transmission
Company: Eversource Energy
Posted on: September 20, 2022
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work
here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)The electric
power system is undergoing a historic transformation. Driven by
state and federal energy policies, coupled with changing economics
and capabilities of emerging technologies, the Transmission System
Planning department plays a pivotal role in enabling this
transformation. The Principal Engineer-Special Studies will conduct
detailed technical modeling and analysis, perform as project
leader, and carry out assignments requiring mastery of the
following subject matter. The Principal Engineer must have
extensive experience with modeling and planning the bulk electric
power system, exhibit strong technical skills to apply to
long-range load forecasting, testing and planning, and leverage
company and industry data to anticipate optimal design for
infrastructure improvements such as AC transmission lines, battery
storage, FACTS devices, Inverter-Based Resources (IBR), etc.
Studies will be conducted in adherence to criteria from Eversource,
ISO-New England, Northeast Power Coordination Council (NPCC), and
the North American Electric Reliability Corporation
- Lead, conduct and present scenario and probabilistic based
planning studies under a variety of existing and forecast system
- Use technical experience to contribute sound engineering input
to develop robust, reliable, low cost solutions.
- Exchange results but also conduct critical review of data and
assumptions from regional and industry stakeholders.
- Interface with ISO-New England, area transmission owners, and
Eversource departments, such as: UG and OH engineering, Substation
Technical, Distributed Energy Resource (DER), Operations, and other
departments to understand and mitigate electric system needs,
challenges, and enable reliable future growth.
- Coordinate and oversee studies performed by vendors and
consultants, analyze assumptions and review conclusions to
integrate into company initiatives.
- Prepare engineering output and summarize in reports,
spreadsheets, and presentation to Eversource colleagues,
management, industry groups and regional stakeholders.
- Collaborate with cross-functional groups to develop long-range
planning criteria for integrating and enabling new technologies,
including but not limited to photovoltaic solar (PV), electric
vehicles (EV), and battery storage.Other supporting tasks include:
- Actively represent Eversource on regional, national, and
international committees and working groups such as NATF, IEEE,
state public utility commissions
- Demonstrate self-sufficiency and support Eversource team by
demonstrating accountability, consistency, and cooperation with all
- Mentor and provide and technical training to other
- Perform an emergent storm assignment as needed during times of
inclement weather or adverse system conditions.Technical
- Advanced knowledge of electrical theory as applied to planning
an electric power supply system.
- Detailed knowledge and experience producing results and
conclusions using power system modeling and simulation software for
steady state power flow, voltage, short circuit, stability, and
- Advanced technical understanding of HVDC and inverter-based
resource parameters and modeling, including extensive simulation
experience in weak grid systems.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills,
both verbal and written.
- Essential Software Proficiency includes PSSE, PSCAD, Microsoft
Office 365; Word, Excel, Visio, SharePoint, OneDrive. Programming
experience highly desirable: Python, VBA. Simulation software
highly desirable: Powertech (TSAT, VSAT), ASPEN Oneliner, EMTP
(ATP), TARA, PI Processbook.
- Experience required applying NERC TPL, NPCC, and ISO-NE
- Follows Eversources Codes of Conduct, Business Ethics,
Environmental and Diversity Policies.Education:
- Masters degree in engineering or science field required.
- Ph.D. degree in engineering preferred.Experience:
- Minimum of ten years specialized experience in transmission
planning, software simulations, and IBR modeling
- Licenses & Certifications: PE License preferredLeadership
Behaviors/Competencies:Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Know the business plan and how your role connects to it
- Identify problems, issues; take responsibility for
- Set high standards for self; deliver quality performance
- Raise ideas for improvement
- Communicate, communicate, communicateBuild Trusting
- Follow through on commitments made to manager, colleagues, and
- Address difficult or controversial issues and encourage others
to do the same.
- Have honest dialogue with othersManage and Develop People
- Set performance goals that align with department and company
- Meet regularly with your supervisor/manager to discuss your
- Seek opportunities to develop skills and gain knowledge through
on the job opportunities, i.e. working on projects, attending
meetings, etc.Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Work collaboratively within and across the organization to
achieve One Company and other goals
- Recognize and address cross functional implications of your
workCreate a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Incorporate the diverse ideas and perspectives of team,
colleagues, and customers in your workLead Change
- Proactively seek out opportunities to improve business
performance and customer service.
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Exhibit a can-do attitude to support changes in priorities and
work processesFocus on the Customer
- Deliver superior service to our customers, both internal and
external, in a reliable, attentive, courteous, quality, proactive
and timely mannerWorker Type:RegularNumber of Openings:1EEO
StatementEversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative
Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.VEVRRA
Federal ContractorVaccination Information:Eversource requires all
new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first
day of employment.If you have any concerns regarding compliance
with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with
Eversources HR department after a decision has been made about
whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment.
Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination
status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and
complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable
accommodation.Emergency Response:Responding to emergency situations
to meet customers needs is part of every employees role. If
employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment.
This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside
of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
Keywords: Eversource Energy, Manchester , Principal Engineer, System Planning, Transmission, Other , Manchester, New Hampshire
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!