Histotechnologist (HTL) - Per Diem, Variable Shifts
Company: Catholic Medical Center
Posted on: May 11, 2022
Be the primary technical resource for histology and participate in
the performance of routine and specialized technical histology
functions as needed to provide high quality microscopic slides of
tissue for the detection of disease, to include
immunohistochemistry procedures and procurement and processing of
pathology specimen material.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direct supervision of the Pathology Supervisor, in
accordance with department policies and procedures established by
CMC, the incumbent performs the following functions:
* Be a resource to histology personnel and participate in the
performance of histology procedures including, but not limited to,
processing tissue samples, microtomy, cryomicrotomy, and
immunohistochemical techniques on surgical, autopsy and research
* Participate in the establishment of histology procedures and
protocols including but not limited to: gross examination,
histology processing, embedding, microtomy, special stains,
immunohistochemistry (IHC), case consultation, block and slide
storage, quality assurance and quality improvement.
* Receive, process, embed, cut, stain and coverslip surgical and
autopsy tissues for microscopic examination by the Pathologist.
* Perform special staining as requested following procedures as
outlined by the Histology Procedure Manual.
* Embed tissue specimens in paraffin blocks, identifying normal
tissue components and abnormal lesions, and exercising independent
judgment in the orientation of specimens in paraffin blocks.
* Cut tissue sections from paraffin blocks, recognizing variation
in tissue specimen components that will affect cutting, and
modifies technique for each type of tissue.
* Perform specialized selective techniques required for diagnostic
purposes, including bone decalcification, muscle and kidney
biopsies and frozen tissue sectioning techniques.
* Perform routine H & E staining of tissue slides, modifying
techniques and stains to ensure proper staining.
* Perform immunoperoxidase procedures on frozen sections and
* Provide technical assistance, instruction and consultation to
staff members for the resolution of technical problems.
* Train new histology personnel as required.
* Develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge of microtomy
equipment, rapid tissue processing equipment, embedding equipment,
stainer/coverslipping equipment and Immunohistochemistry
* Track IHC antibody usage and establish procedures for maintaining
stock, concentrated antibody solutions and dilution procedures for
working antibody uses.
* Troubleshoot and resolve problems with histology and grossing
* Monitor quality control of tissue section cutting, staining, IHC
and document the results.
* Utilize SoftPath computer systems for receiving, accessioning,
monitoring quality control and tracking specimens.
* Maintain instruments, reagents and documentation for Quality
* Coordinate the preparation of reports and analyses setting forth
progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or
* Perform and/or monitor all high complexity testing involving
immunohistochemical staining operations.
* WORK SCHEDULE:
* Generally Monday-Friday but may require weekend work as
determined by specimen reporting requirements and the ability to
work to cover special situations or as the need arises
* Bachelor's degree and HTL (ASCP) certification required; OR has
met the minimal education and experience requirements as outlined
by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) and has HTL
* Minimum of one (1) year full-time experience as a certified
Histotechnologist (HTL) in a clinical laboratory setting
* HTL(ASCP) or HTL(ASCP)CM Certification required within one year
from date of hire.
* HTL(ASCP)CM MUST be valid and renewed upon expiration to retain
* Standard of Business Conduct
Individuals are required to refrain from participating in any
activities that could be construed as fraud and abuse. Requires the
ability to follow Catholic Medical Center's Standards of Business
Conduct in any instance where you feel there is suspicion of fraud
or abuse, or a violation of the law. The Standards of Business
Conduct requires that suspicion or knowledge of any person(s) in
violation of the Code be reported to the Corporate Compliance
Officer. The extent to which you comply with the requirements
contained within the Code will be a factor in evaluating your
overall job performance.
Keywords: Catholic Medical Center, Manchester , Histotechnologist (HTL) - Per Diem, Variable Shifts, Other , Manchester, New Hampshire
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!