Clinical Practice Assistant
Posted on: October 20, 2019
Department Description: Hours = Monday through Friday from 8:30am
to 5:00pm. Busy outpatient specialties clinic located at 482
Bedford Street in Lexington. Specialties include Cardiology,
Orthopedics, Neurology, ENT, Allergy, Pulmonary, Endocrinology,
Gastroenterology, and others. The primary job responsibilities will
be administrative work.Job Location: Lexington, MAReq ID:
30196BRJob Summary: Performs both administrative and clinical
functions to support smooth and efficient practice operations,
while contributing to BIDMC's promise of providing extraordinary
care. Communicates with patients, other employees and the general
public in a courteous, helpful manner by phone and in person.
Duties include but are not limited to greeting, check-in,
scheduling and medical assisting. Assists patients who have
physical and psychological limitations with ambulation and patient
care functions. Reports to Practice Manager or RN with input from
assigned Physicians, Nurses or other health care providers.
- Performs medical assisting duties which may include, but are
not limited to, vital signs, height and weight, EKGs, performing
phlebotomy and assisting during routine procedures. Ensures that
all patient care areas are clean, organized, stocked and ready for
patient use. Escorts patients to ancillary service areas such as
radiology and lab as needed.
- Monitors, orders and/or maintains medical equipment and
supplies, ensuring they are clean, sterilized, stocked and within
- Performs initial review of medication lists in the electronic
medical record for final review by licensed practitioners. May
retrieve schedule VI and over the counter medications only, under
supervision of licensed providers; is not authorized to perform
licensed personnel duties, which include but are not limited to
drawing up medications, medication administration or flushing
- Performs appropriate point of care testing, such as lab tests
and specimen collection. Implements quality control standards to
ensure proper functioning and accuracy of testing equipment.
Provides patients with relevant instructions for specific tests and
- Uses the electronic medical record system (OMR) to queue
prescription renewals for review by a licensed provider. As
directed by a clinician, enters/scribes orders for tests, services
or appointments in OMR. During the visit, accurately documents
tasks, as they are completed, in OMR to ensure proper billing
(Facility Worksheet).Required Qualifications:
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Demonstrated MA competencies or equivalent MA experience gained
through any of the following: MA Certificate. Associates degree in
Medical Assisting. CNA (or LNA), EMT, PCT certificate. Currently
enrolled nursing student who has completed at least one clinical
rotation. Allied Health and Physician Assistant program candidates.
Home Health Aide experience.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a
basic level within web-based applications.Preferred
- Phlebotomy Certificate preferred.Competencies:
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on
specific instructions, standard practices and established
procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine,
somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear
directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions
and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and
effectively in written English with internal and external
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in
English to communicate effectively with medical center staff,
patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of
standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the
ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to
improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas,
identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer
service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a
professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in
active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in
stressful situations.Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to
the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30
- 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or
up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and
employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of
Keywords: Bidmc, Manchester , Clinical Practice Assistant, Healthcare , Haverhill, New Hampshire
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!