Medical Assistant General Surgery
Company: Elliot Hospital
Posted on: August 6, 2022
- POSITION SUMMARY
- Assists providers in the administration of patient care in
assigned clinical areas. Assists with patient examinations,
procedures, diagnostic studies, treatment, and dressing changes.
Performs general administrative duties in accordance with JCAHO,
CLIA, NCQA and government standards, as well as company policies
- KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs visit chart preparation activities based on the daily
scheduled appointments including diagnostic test results,
emergency/urgent care reports, discharge summaries and consult/PCP
reports are located in the medical record and accessible to the
provider. Anticipates care information to support provider
- Performs rooming activities for provider visits according to
the documented rooming criteria including chief complaint,
allergies, vital signs, medication list review, tobacco history,
LMP, health maintenance overrides and documentation in a timely and
- Obtains and documents age and/or condition-specific
measurements accurately including vital signs, height, weight, head
circumference, peak flow, and pulse oximetry based on visit purpose
and clinical condition.
- Conducts and documents hearing, vision, respiratory and ECG
- Performs and documents specific screening based on
condition/need including depression and asthma.
- Obtains, documents and processes specimens using the
appropriate collection process and equipment.
- Performs and documents point of care testing accurately.
- Acts as a resource for safety, point of care testing, and/or
- Performs venipuncture procedures (as needed) and processes
specimens as outlined in policies and procedures.
- Documents using clear, concise and professional written
- Orders and signs clinical orders in the EMR per provider
direction during a provider visit.
- Assists providers with patient examination and procedures.
- Processes procedural instruments according to policies and
- Administers medications and immunizations including oral,
nasal, injectable, rectal and topical routes as appropriate.
- Processes medication prescription refills per guidelines using
telephonic, electronic or print methods.
- Communicates with patients in a timely, courteous and
professional manner using oral, written, telephonic or electronic
- Reinforces patient/family education and identifies
opportunities for new patient/family education.
- Handles prior authorization processes for medications and/or
procedures and documents appropriately.
- Orders supplies as designated and keeps services areas orderly
and well stocked.
- Manages clinical supplies and medication sample areas to ensure
that stock is current, stored appropriately, labeled and par levels
- Acts as a principal preceptor in the clinical orientation of
- Identifies emergent situations and communicates to appropriate
personnel for interventions. Functions in emergent situations
pertinent to the role.
- Participates in and supports quality and regulatory
- Participates in clinical development projects, councils or ad
hoc clinical projects.
- Handles patient complaints or negative feedback in a
professional manner and directs to manager/director
- Supports teamwork and professional relationships within the
- Participates in continuing education activities to enhance own
knowledge and skills and maintain certification status.
- Cross trains as a patient service representative as
- REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and respond
appropriately to unexpected situations.
- Requires the ability to perform repetitive or routine duties
working from detailed instructions and under standard
- Ability to communicate effectively and establish a cooperative,
collaborative working environment.
- Ability to accept constructive feedback and initiate
appropriate actions to correct situations.
- Ability to maintain good communications; ability to establish
and maintain positive working relationships with employees,
physicians, patients, families and the public.
- Working knowledge of ICD-10, CPT coding and insurance
- Education: High School Diploma or GED required. Graduate from
an accredited Medical Assistant program required.
- Experience: One (1) to three (3) years medical assistant
- Certification/Licensure: Must possess BLS authorization upon
ninety (90) days of employment in position and maintain during
employment. Certification or registration (CMA, RMA or ABR-OE) by
AAMA or AMT is required.
- Software/Hardware: Computer/EMR experience preferred.
- OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Keywords: Elliot Hospital, Manchester , Medical Assistant General Surgery, Healthcare , Manchester, New Hampshire
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!